Several communities within Georgetown and on the East Coast of Demerara (ECD) are bracing themselves for more eight-hour power outages.The Guyana Power and Light (GPL) in a notice to the public said that it will commence another three days of maintenance work.The utility company stated that the activities will commence on Tuesday, October 8, at Brickdam, Georgetown, to Golden Grove, North of Railway Embankment, ECD.Meanwhile, Oronoque Street, Queenstown, and environs, Ketley Street, Charles Street, Lyng Street, House Street and Sussex Street will experience maintenance works on October 10, 2019, as well La Bonne Intention (LBI), ECD.Consumers were advised that the works will be undertaken from 08:00h to 16:00h on each day.Only last month the company had announced its recommitment of buying power as they continued to suffer from the challenges of providing reliable electricity, but GPL has since admitted that it cannot purchase power from any private company due to its existing licence, which it plans to amend. There was a subsequent announcement that the company found a loophole in the legislation which will allow them to purchase power until the legislative issues have been resolved.The power company has come in for much criticism for the unreliable service. Also, according to the Public Utilities Commission’s (PUC) Annual Report for 2018, the power company has failed to improve its services in accordance with performance targets previously set out.The PUC also received some 248 complaints against the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) Inc.The highest complaints against GPL were received from Regions Four (Demerara-Mahaica) and Six (East Berbice-Corentyne).Meanwhile, one project that would have assisted the Guyana Power and Light in getting adequate electricity supply was the Amaila Falls Hydropower Project, which the coalition Government continually blocked while controlling the National Assembly by a one-seat Opposition majority.The Norway-funded project, when completed, would have provided 165 megawatts to the national grid, thus providing cheaper and more reliable power to citizens and businesses.
The tax credit aims to help junior exploration companies attract investments and make discoveries of resources within the province. In a release Premier Christy Clark says “B.C.’s mineral exploration and mining industry is a great comeback story. It’s a vital part of our strong economy, supporting good paying, secure jobs across the province and the best is yet to come.”Meanwhile Minister of Energy and Mines Bill Bennett says “Resource development is the backbone of our way of life in B.C. We’re extending the tax credit because junior exploration companies are on the front lines. It’s their discoveries that expand the mining sector and the province’s economy by finding new opportunities which create jobs not just in our rural communities, but in the downtowns of urban centres like Vancouver as well.- Advertisement -Exploration expenditures for 2013 are estimated to be at $476 million. That total is the second highest on record. Over the last ten years approximately $3.5 billion has been spent on mineral exploration in British Columbia.
Poll – Will it go belly-up for Claudio Ranieri at Leicester City? 1 The Drivetime boys need your views…
THE new Donegal-based tuckers lobby group is calling for a meeting with the new Ministers of Transport and Finance to thrash out a number of issues affecting the haulage industry.The group, known as the JML Diesel Protest, held a truck protest recently in Letterkenny before organising a rolling protest from Donegal, through Sligo along the N4 to Dublin, before handing in a petition at the Dail.The group is calling on the incoming government to scrap the carbon tax element in the cost of fuel for tax compliant licensed hauliers. It also wants a further minimum 10% rebate on diesel used by tax compliant licensed hauliers. John McLaughlin took time out from attending a wedding to visit the Donegal North East election count at the Aura Leisure Centre in Letterkenny on Saturday.He says it wants the government to review the method used to calculate the road tax imposed on commercial vehicles. It also wants a complete review of the current licensing regime.He is also looking for a meeting with the Road Safety Authority to discuss a variety of transport legislation, which the group says is having a detrimental and increasingly expensive effect on the haulage industry.Finally, the group wants to meet with the National Roads Authority to discuss multiple issues, which it claims negatively affect the haulage industry, such as tolls, rest areas, and most recently the NRA”s response to the “big freeze”. Said John: “I went to the count because it was a good opportunity to meet all the political parties and put across our views. Donegal is particularly affected by all the extra taxes we have been forced to pay.”You can find put more about the lobby group on Facebook by clicking on the following link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/JML-Diesel-Protest/189413041090515TRUCKERS DEMAND MEETINGS WITH NEW GOVERNMENT MINISTERS was last modified: February 27th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The state on Tuesday postponed indefinitely the execution of a condemned killer amid a court battle over the state’s method of lethal injection and the role doctors may play in the death chamber. State officials notified the federal courts they would be unable to comply with a judge’s order to have a lethal dose of barbiturate administered to Michael Morales by a medical professional in the execution chamber, a spokeswoman for the federal courts told The Associated Press.
Picture l to r. Kevin McGrory (Donegal Fire Service), Gary Doggett (Programme Coordinator), Padraig Mac Lochlainn TD, Martin McFadden (Lead Course Facilitator)Donegal’s hugely successful ‘Pro Social Drivers Course’ may now be rolled out across the country.Garry Doggett, who set up the scheme in 2012, said he hopes the course can help others to stop reoffending on the country’s roads.He said “I hope to roll out the course nationally. Of the 140 people who have taken part, the number who have re-offended are in single figures.” That compares to one in the three, the number of people who reoffend.The course allows people with speeding, drink-driving and other traffic offences to meet road traffic victims as well as members of the emergency services.Overall it allows offenders to take a step back and assess their actions and driving ability and to become more responsible for their actions.Donegal district court Judge Paul Kelly has been an advocate of the programme from the outset. DONEGAL SAFE DRIVING COURSE COULD BE ROLLED OUT ACROSS COUNTRY was last modified: January 17th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGarry DoggedletterkennyPro Social Driving Course
Naomh Conaill ended their season on a high by overcoming neighbours Ardara to win the Division One final at O’Donnell Park, Letterkenny.Ardara were in search of their second league title in three years but the Glenties men proved too strong in the end.At half-time it looked like Ardara had the edge as they went in a point ahead. And when Gareth Concarr added a goal eight minutes into the restart it looked like the league was headed back to Aradara.But led by a man-of-the-match performance from half-back Jamie Gallagher, Naomh Conail always somehow found the edge to win with four points to spare on a final scoreline of 0-14 to 1-7.The win will be some consolation for going out in the first round of this year’s championship.Ardara manager Patrick’Larry’ Gallagher might wonder exactly what turned the tide against him. But Naomh Conaill managers Stephen McKelvey and Martin Doherty’s can thank their big hitters including Dermot Molloy (0-4), Darragh Gallagher (0-5) and Leo McLoone (0-3) for getting them over the line.The Glenties men cruised in the final minutes but it could have been all so different if Ardara could have continued to keep pace with the game.Photos by Jack McKelvey.GAA PICTURE SPECIAL: NAOMH CONAILL LIFT DIVISION ONE CROWN was last modified: November 13th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ArdaraNaomh Conaill
Alvaro Morata will have a confidence boost after breaking his goal drought with the winner against Vidi in the Europa League, says Gary Cahill.Although Morata missed a great chance early in the first half, the Spain international struck the winner with an improved finish after the break.Morata had not found the net since scoring in a 3-2 Premier League win against Arsenal in the middle of August. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! And Cahill said Morata’s team-mates are all thrilled to see the striker’s name on the scoresheet after a barren spell.”It is job done,” Cahill said to BT Sport. “Games like that are difficult but it is important we are motivated.”We tried and tried and got what we deserved. They sat back and frustrated us.”We missed a few chances but Alvaro Morata scored the goal to win us the game.”I am sure for every striker, scoring goals gives them confidence.”Morata made some good runs tonight and delighted to see him hit the back of the net.”He has scored many goals and were are delighted we won.”Sarri says he is pleased Alvaro Morata scored and played a good game. He says this performance can be a start and the player can take confidence from this game. #CHEVID— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) October 4, 2018With Maurizio Sarri ringing the changes from a league draw with Liverpool last time out, Cahill was given a rare start in defence.And the former England international hopes to be given more chances to stake his claim for regular selection.”I want to play football out on the pitch,” Cahill added.”I am not different to anyone else and the ambition never changes.”I am delighted to have the armband back on and it is a good feeling.”
The Group B Ranji Trophy match between Delhi and Andhra, which is also the last match of veteran batsman Gautam Gambhir, ended in a dull draw at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium here on Sunday.Resuming the day at 409/7 in their first innings, Delhi were bowled out for 433 in response to Andhra’s first innings score of 380, which gave them a 53-run lead. Gambhir, who was the centre of attraction among the 500-odd crowd on Sunday, scored 112.In reply, Andhra were all out for 130 in their second innings, thanks to Shivank Vashisht who picked up five wickets for 49 runs. Vikas Mishra scalped three wickets.Needing 77 runs to win, Delhi batters, especially Anuj Rawat were right on the money as he slammed 23 runs in 17 balls. Lalit Yadav tried to continue the momentum after Rawat’s dismissal but bad light stopped the play when just 36 runs were needed to win.Earlier, Gambhir had a perfect swansong as he scored his 43rd and final first-class century with Delhi ensuring at least three points by virtue of first innings lead.The match was all about Gambhir after he announced his retirement before the start of the game and announced Delhi’s Ranji Trophy encounter against Andhra as his final cricketing match.”The next Ranji Trophy game against Andhra will be my last day in the Sun. It is all coming to an end from where it started at Feroz Shah Kotla. I am big one on loyalty. I am glad that I could finish with teams that I started my journey with. In this case ending with both Delhi Daredevils and Delhi domestic side has given me immense satisfaction.advertisementAs a batsman I have always valued timing. I know the time is just right. I am sure it’s sweet as well. Good bye and good luck,” Gambhir said.Gambhir made sure his farewell was memorable for the 500-odd spectators, who were present at the Feroz Shah Kotla to cheer every run that he scored.A streaky boundary through the slips took him to 98 and then he square drove pacer Bandaru Ayappa to scamper home for a double to complete one of his more emotionally exhausting hundreds.While the 100-odd youngsters sporting “Miss you Gauti’ T-shirts were overwhelmed with emotion, the former India opener was muted in his celebrations as he didn’t even bother to open his helmet.He added 113 runs for the second wicket with skipper Dhruv Shorey (98) before India A keeper Kona Bharat finally held onto an edge with off-spinner Shoaib Mohammed Khan being the bowler.It wasn’t a smooth innings but no one cared for the details like 10 boundaries and 185 balls as he got a generous applause.The Delhi players also gave a him a ‘Guard of Honour’, the spectators gave a standing ovation and the entire Andhra team came up to congratulate him.(With IANS inputs)Also Read | Never had any differences with Dhoni, we spent memorable times together: GambhirAlso Read | It was a massive shock: Gambhir recalls Dhoni’s 2012 selection policy for Australia seriesAlso Read | Anil Kumble was the best leader that I played under: Gautam Gambhir to India TodayAlso Read | Gautam Gambhir: Fiery, confrontational and generous philanthropist
Cardiff City cancelled the club’s trip to Tenerife for a mid-season break so the players could mourn striker Emiliano Sala’s death with their families, manager Neil Warnock has said.January signing Sala was travelling to Cardiff from French club Nantes when the plane he was on crashed in the English Channel last month.His body was recovered from the wreckage last week while pilot David Ibbotson is yet to be found.The Welsh club are not in action this weekend after getting knocked out of the FA Cup last month and their next match is in the league at home against Watford on Feb. 22, which gave the club time for a warm-weather training camp.”The club gave me permission to fly out to Tenerife, to take them all for four days but after what’s happened over the past two weeks, I’d rather cuddle my kids and see my missus because it’s been a long two weeks,” Warnock told reporters.”I’ve never known anything like this in my life and I’ve seen most things. They’ll all be reflecting on what’s happened and your family is more important than football isn’t it?”Cardiff’s 2-1 win at Southampton over the weekend was dedicated to Sala by Warnock and midfielder Aron Gunnarsson said the Argentine striker’s death had ‘brought everyone together’ at the club.”The most important thing was for the family to mourn. Knowing that now, hopefully the pilot will be found and his family can mourn,” Gunnarsson said.Also Read | Southampton fans face ban for Emiliano Sala taunts at Cardiff supportersAlso Read | Emiliano Sala plane wreckage found in English Channel, father calls it a bad dreamAlso Read | Cardiff City players scared to fly after Emiliano Sala disappearance: Defender Sol Bambaadvertisement